WheelsUp’s design team understands design and the need for accessible and more importantly, universal design. Above all, they believe that the best barrier-free solutions are the ones that are not noticeable.
WheelsUp offers a range of services, including:
- Working as consultants alongside a design team as a project is designed and developed.
- Reviewing, consulting and advising on accessibility barriers in existing residential or public buildings and areas.
- Providing solutions that are creative, practical and aesthetically pleasing in non-compliant areas.
- Improving the accessibility of home or work environments of clients and their families facing challenges following traumatic injuries. It includes those diagnosed with progressive medical conditions or those facing the normal ageing process that affects the ability to safely access and function independently at home.
Our Universal Design Process
- Collect Information — WheelsUp’s design team gathers photos, videos and measurements of the spaces that clients are struggling with. The team also encourages clients to share images of the spaces they are inspired by and would like to imitate.
- Listen — The design team meets with clients in person or talks by phone to discuss personal needs, preferences and goals.
- Brainstorm and design — WheelsUp provides one or more design solutions for the review. The client selects one for further design development.
- Written Proposal — WheelsUp provides documents that illustrate the solution selected. The team coordinates with the client’s design team or assists the client to choose the appropriate contractors to ensure the chosen solution is integrated or constructed to the client’s satisfaction.
The Importance of Aesthetics in WheelsUp’s Universal Design Process
WheelsUp’s design team recognizes that the lack of good aesthetics in design often leads to:
- “Technology abandonment” on the part of the user
- Negative attitudes towards accessibility on the part of building owners or designers.
Universal Design is beautiful and it has mass appeal. It is not reminiscent of a sterile, medical and institutional environment.
The team ensures a high standard of aesthetics to secure the acceptance of their universal design. They focus on design being useful AND beautiful. They do so by expressing the usability features of the product or environment as strong aesthetics qualities or elements.
Life Changing Design
Life after a traumatic injury does not necessarily suggest complete dependence. It does not have to result in endless struggles for the disabled person and their families for the rest of their lives. The WheelsUp design team knows this from their first-hand, personal experience. Likewise, progressive illnesses and ageing does not always require individuals to give up their home or their personal space.
Homes, buildings and other living spaces are places that can be tailored to fit a person’s specific needs. Thoughtful, accessible design can turn any home into a place where an individual can conserve energy to enable them to go out into the community and be active and engaged.
Universal design is truly life changing. It provides one solution that can accommodate people with disabilities as well as the rest of the population.
- Sensitivity Training – Understanding disability and accessibility
- Motivational Talks
For more information or to speak to our team, email firstname.lastname@example.org
We look forward to working with you to make the world more inclusive for all.